Sunday, February 20, 2011

Des Moines, Iowa is the New Wisconsin....

It's been a while, I know, and it's not that I don't have anything to say...in fact with all that has been going on in the news in the state of Iowa and nationally...I've had an opinion - I'm just sure that in the heat of my thinking - it would've not been put the way I wanted. Even now, I'm not sure that it will get said that way I want.

Ok, let talk about Wisconsin...I hope that everything turns out for them...and I don't just mean the teachers. I also mean the state workers that are being put on the line. I am so baffled by what the governor there is trying to do. I'm also very concerned because I can see that our governor will probably be the next one to try this.

Thanks to those legislators who acted the way they did because they were listening to their constituents. And shame on the governor who believes that this is just a stunt and does not see how this will affect their state. I hope that their legislature starts to actually listen to the people that live and work in Wisconsin.

I am concerned that our governor is looking at what happens in that state very closely. I am very concerned that he will be trying to do this as well. I don't understand why people don't want state workers and teachers not to have the power to fight for benefits. In the last few years, in Des Moines, the only thing the teachers have asked for is a competitive wage and good health benefits. These are the things we are worried about and the things that keep us teaching in Des Moines.

There are good teachers here...there are teachers who take there job seriously, who believe what they do is important, who want to make sure that your child is learning. We are not greedy, we don't make enough to be greedy. Anyone in education knows that we will never become millionaires doing our job. When people use the dreaded line, "those who can't...teach" know that it doesn't "pay" to be a teacher. Why people think that we are all just money grubbers...obviously still don't know why we teach.

I'm hoping that this situation turns out in the best way possible. I'm hoping this because I'm afraid for the state and city I live in. I seriously don't want to move...but if our state doesn't start to figure out what is best for us - I will be looking outside of this state for another job.

No comments:

Post a Comment