Friday, November 4, 2011

lamentations....

I have a child sitting in my room right now that I feel so bad for that I don't even know what to do. This child was kicked out of a room a block earlier because his shoes smell so bad that kids couldn't breath around him. He was able to get socks on...which helped, but he really needs new shoes. He's a bit autistic - but DEFINITELY not stupid. He's so worried that people will make fun of him because of what happened, he can't sit still...I have promised him that it will not happen in my class, but he has put his head down and is trembling....

Curriculum is thrown completely out the window when I have a situation like this. This is a kid that just needs someone to let him know it's ok. Thankfully, I do have a pretty nice class right now, who know my expectations of not bullying others or making fun of others in my room. They know if I hear or see them in the hallway what will happen to them if they are the ones perpetrating this act.

This is the definitive situation where people that say that teachers don't do anything for kids should be punched right between the eyes. This is the situation where people who think that we can just take little "pegs" and put them in the correct spot need to be hung upside down by their toenails.

These are the kids I teach everyday....I just wish people would understand that testing and curriculum aren't here right now and may not be until things are right in his student's world.

No comments:

Post a Comment