Sunday, April 29, 2012

thoughts on a rainy Sunday....

I've been delaying to talk about some things that are happening in our building because there has been so much drama...good and bad.  I just want to post my views, but not for any specific reason other than to post my views and give my thoughts....

So, we've gotten a kind of fruit basket upset as it were for next year.  One of the 6th grade teachers is moving up to the 7th grade and one of the 7th grade teachers is moving to 6th grade.  I can't say that I am unhappy about this move...in fact, I'm joyous.  I don't say this with any kind of meanness...it's just that the teacher that is moving down has...well...been difficult to teach with.  While I believe that he has a lot of knowledge...I'm not sure he was willing to share it.  He could've made our literacy team pretty strong, but chose to do the opposite...he made it much it much harder to do our job.  I really wish it could've been different.  There's a lot that I would like to say - but I'll just leave it with that.

The woman that is moving up from the 6th grade, I believe, will finally make our literacy team cohesive.  She has a personality that is much more compatible with me and the other two teachers that will remain in the 7th grade....actually, anyone could've been moved up from the 6th grade team and we would be fine, but I believe a change will be good for all of us.  What I'm really excited about is getting on top of playing to our strengths and helping our students out.  I'm looking forward to see what we can really accomplish.  We all have ideas that we've been starting to bounce off of each other and each time we do, I get a little more excited and positive about next year. 

For the past few years, I've been struggling and unhappy.  It hasn't been just one particular thing...each year it's different and the more frustrated I get, the more I am looking at what else I can do.  Frustratingly, I really don't know what I else I would do.  One of the things that has kept me in the profession as long as I have, has been the relationships I've forged within the staff at my school, but this year - even those seem to be a point of contention.  I've been somewhat unhappy to learn how difficult friendships can be when aspects of people's lives change.  How one thing can change opinions of colleagues that we've known and been closely associated with for many years.  How one thing can make us forget that we are not perfect.  How we know that we don't have to agree with everything that everyone does, but that NO ONE is perfect. 

I'm hoping things can get better....that a summer can refresh and let us forget a bit.  I'm hoping that my situation will help renew me.

No comments:

Post a Comment